Lothian Deaf Counselling Service
Lothian Deaf Counselling Service provides a free face-to-face confidential counselling service for those aged 18 or over who are Deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or deafblind throughout Edinburgh and the Lothians.
Health in Mind offer counselling in British Sign Language (without interpreter) and also in English. A personal loop system and communication in written English are available for people who are deafened or hard of hearing.
Counselling is a confidential and supportive relationship with someone who is trained and experienced in helping people talk about the difficulties they are experiencing in their lives and helps to build trust and overcome personal challenges to take greater control of life.
One of the Health in Mind counsellors is Deaf and the others have extensive experience of working with deaf people and receive professional supervision.
How To Get In Touch
You can self-refer or be referred to the service by your GP, Social Work, Audiology, Community Mental Health Team or other health professionals.
If you are making a referral on behalf of someone, you will need to know the name and contact details and the following information about the person you wish to refer:
- contact details
- preferred language (BSL or English)
The referral form and contact details can be found on the Health in Mind Website
The service is provided in association with NHS Lothian.
Intended Client Groups:
- People Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties
- Deaf, Deaf Blind, Hard of Hearing
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
Deaf people who use British Sign Language (BSL) and individuals who are hard of hearing or deaf blind.
Contact Info. & Provider's Address
40 Shandwick Place
Monday to Friday 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Wheelchair Access
- Information in community languages
- Translation Service
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.
Provider's Name: Health in Mind
Health in Mind has been promoting positive mental health and wellbeing in Scotland since 1982. Health in Mind do this by providing a wide range of services to support people and enable them to make a positive difference in their lives. Individuals can approach them directly, or be referred to our services by their GP or another healthcare professional.
Services run by this provider
- Art Psychotherapy at the Orchard Centre
- CLEAR Project (Community Lived Experience for Alcohol and drugs Recovery)
- Creating Wellbeing – Health in Mind
- Depression and Anxiety Group
- Early Intervention Crisis Response Service (Orchard Centre)
- Equal Access
- Guided Self-Help Midlothian (Health in Mind)
- Lothian Deaf Counselling Service
- Midlothian Access Point
- Orchard Centre Services
- Orchard Centre Services – Support from Home
- re:discover Midlothian (Health in Mind)
- Reducing Loneliness & Social Isolation Group
- ROWAN – Respect Our Woodland And Nature
- SHARE (Suicide Harm Awareness Recovery Empathy)
- Sports Shed
- Trauma Counselling Line Scotland
- Weekly Midlothian Women’s Group
- Wheelbeing Hub