Guided Self-Help Midlothian (Health in Mind)
Guided Self Help is a short term therapy for people experiencing mild to moderate distress, such as anxiety, depression and / or stress.
With the support of a worker, the service aims to help people gain an understanding of their own problems, and come up with strategies for overcoming them. This short-term approach is based on cognitive-behavioural principles with a proven evidence base.
Workers will assist people to explore and develop their own solutions, tailored to their specific needs. This involves the use of high quality self-help materials, such as workbooks, books, websites, signposting towards other services, as well as focusing on lifestyle factors, such as relaxation and sleep.
A GP referral is required to use this service. The service is open to adults aged 18 and over living in Midlothian, affected by mild to moderate mental ill health. Workers can see people in GP Practices in Bonnyrigg, Dalkeith and Penicuik.
Intended Client Groups:
- People Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
Unable to accept clients currently misusing drugs or alcohol
This service is available by appointment only.
Contact Info. & Service Address
40 Shandwick Place
Monday - Thursday 9.00am - 5.00pm
& Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm
Tel: 0131 225 8508
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Public Parking
Metered parking nearby, may be expensive
- Information in community languages
- Some of the projects meet the needs of those with mobility issues but not if they require permanent use of a wheelchair
- This service is not accessible to wheelchair users.
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.
Public Transport Information
Dependent on location: several bus routes go to the main office (4, 12, 26, 44/A)
Provider's Name: Health in Mind
Health in Mind is a Scottish Charity whose mission is to promote tolerance and greater understanding of mental health issues through:
- Offering a range of mental health and wellbeing services
- Raising awareness of mental health and wellbeing issues
- Innovating, developing and promoting new approaches to mental health improvement.
Services run by this provider
- Art Psychotherapy at the Orchard Centre
- CLEAR Project (Community Lived Experience for Alcohol and drugs Recovery)
- Depression and Anxiety Support Group
- Early Intervention Crisis Response Service (Orchard Centre)
- Equal Access
- Guided Self-Help Midlothian (Health in Mind)
- Lothian Deaf Counselling Service
- Midlothian Access Point
- Orchard Centre Services
- Orchard Centre Services – Support from Home
- re:discover Midlothian (Health in Mind)
- Reducing Loneliness & Social Isolation Group
- ROWAN – Respect Our Woodland And Nature
- SHARE (Suicide Harm Awareness Recovery Empathy)
- Sports Shed
- Trauma Counselling Line Scotland
- Weekly Midlothian Women’s Group