CAPS – Individual Advocacy
CAPS Independent Advocacy provides individual advocacy for people aged between 18 – 65 years old in East Lothian and Midlothian who have experienced a mental health difficulty.
Their service is free of charge and provided by trained advocacy workers and volunteers. CAPS can arrange for one of their advocacy workers to meet with you, when and where it suits you both.
They can help you deal with issues relating to your mental health, such as housing, employment and services you use or would like to use.
CAPS Individual Advocacy can support you to make your own choices and access services, but we do not give advice or act as counsellors or befrienders.
An advocate can help you if you are feeling:
- overwhelmed by a situation
- that people are not taking the time to explain things properly
- that people are not listening to what you say
- that people have decided that you are not able to make decisions, and make them for you
- that professionals use jargon or words you don’t understand
An advocate can help you:
- to have your say
- to get the information you need to understand and make decisions
- to challenge decisions you don’t agree with
- in situations when you are vulnerable
- to safeguard your rights
- by supporting you to prepare for meetings
- by going with you to appointments
- by talking to you about what has been decided
How To Get In Touch
Phone Number: 0131 273 5118
Intended Client Groups:
- People Experiencing Mental Health Difficulties
Applicants for this service should also meet this condition:
Any adult aged between 18 to 65 who is experiencing or has experienced mental health diffiuclties, and living in Midlothian or East Lothian.
This service accepts direct self referrals.
Contact Info. & Service Address
The Old Stables
Monday - Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
Facilities & Access
This service has the following facilities:
- Public Parking
- Wheelchair Access
- Creche facilities are not available at this location.
Provider's Name: CAPS Independent Advocacy
CAPS is an independent advocacy organisation for people who use or have used mental health services. They provide individual and collective advocacy in East Lothian and Midlothian host several experience-led projects across Lothian.